Monday, July 7, 2008

For the First Time In My Adult Life I am No Longer Proud of My Country!

Dear readers,

After seeing the latest polls showing Barack Obama ahead of John McCain in the Presidential race, I must make the following confession to you:

'For the first time in my adult life I am no longer proud of my country'.

Sadly, our country - once full of hope and optimism - is now a country filled with morosity, despair, and resignation.

A nation, once brimming with confidence and sanguinity, armed with the belief that it could overcome tyranny and despotism, has now fallen prey to a presidential candidate who says the US is incapable of defeating its enemies.

"Winning is not an option!" he boldly proclaims. "We have no choice but to negotiate with our enemies and to give in to their blood-thirsty demands!"

This is an individual who purports to be the "embodiment of hope" and the "candidate of change", yet, at a time when our troops are finally winning in Iraq, he insists that 'retreat is our only option'.

Pray tell, is this the "hope" and "change" he constantly banters about?

Is this the "hope" and "change" many of us seem so eager to embrace?

Can we really be so forlorn as to elect a President who is the very essence of hopelessness and despair?

Have we lost faith in ourselves and in our ability to "bring about real change" by defeating our enemies and making the world a safer place to live in?

What's more, can we really be so ruthless as to elect a president who has consistently opposed the Born-alive Infants Protection Act?

"Yes, we can!", apparently.

And it is for this very reason that I sadly concede to you today that, "for the first time in my adult life I am no longer proud of my country."

I know Michelle Obama does not agree with this sentiment. She seems to be very proud of her country nowadays. But how can I possibly be proud of a country that's about to elect the quintessential pessimist as its commander in chief?

No comments: